Hello! It’s Renee here today to share a step-by-step tutorial on paper ornaments I made using the wonderful Home for Christmas collection. These paper ornaments are so quick and simple to make and look modern and fun on your Christmas tree. They’re also durable and flatten easily for storage so you can use them year after year. Your kids or grandkids would enjoy making these paper ornaments and can sprinkle a little glitter for that finishing touch.
Supplies you’ll need to make these paper ornaments:
6″ squares of pattern paper
small hole paper punch
bone folder (optional)
pencil and ruler (optional)
1. Take your 6″ square of pattern paper (I used Deck the Halls here) and position it face up.
Then, fold it in half from top to bottom. I used a bone folder for a nice, crisp fold.
2. Fold the top sheet in half…
…and flip the paper over to the other side.
3. Fold the top sheet in half.
Now, you have a “W” in front of you after all the folds are done.
4. At the top of your “W”, mark the center of the paper with a pencil. You can also just pinch a tiny fold to mark the center of the paper.
5. Cut through all the layers from each bottom corner of your “W” to your center pencil mark or fold at the top of your “W”.
Then, separate the triangles (one 6″ square of pattern paper will give you 2 paper ornaments). Work on them one at a time.
6. Starting from the bottom center of the triangle, mark about ¼” on either side of the center and then mark about every ½” after that. You can also eyeball this part from your pinch mark to make your cuts.
Here’s a closer look at my measurements. I made 5 tally marks on either side from the center.
7. Cut parallel lines and stop about ¼” from the top of the triangle. Cut a wedge at each end of the triangle.
8. Alternate the fold cuts up and open to make the paper ornament 3D.
9. Use the small hole paper punch to make a hole near the top of the paper ornament and thread it with the Baker’s Twine (I used red and green) to hang the paper ornament. You can skip the hole and just run the Baker’s Twine (string or thread) through the top opening of the paper ornament.
10. Repeat steps 1-9 with all your 6″ squares of pattern paper. Merry Making!
Home for Christmas Holly Jolly (732649)
Home for Christmas Christmas Cheer (732652)
Home for Christmas Deck the Halls (732653)
American Crafts Baker’s Twine Value Pack 5 yd Spools 24/Pkg, Bright (366303)